The Exchange Information Store is a very important component of MS Exchange Server as it contains both mailbox store and public folder store data. All the data of the information store is contained in the EDB files. This means that it is all the more important to know its components, so that in the event of data loss, you know what to do and which kind of exchange recovery to implement. There are certain in-built methods that you can use to perform EDB repair. If these methods are not able to repair EDB file, then you should use a third-party EDB repair software to do so.
The following symptoms indicate that the information store may be corrupted.
- Unable to start the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.
- Unable to stop the Information Store service and other dependant services
- The Information Store service does not respond while the CPU usage level shows 100 percent
- E-mails cannot be retrieved or sent by the client.
- Error messages like “unable to mount the Mailbox store….” (When an attempt is made to mount the mailbox), or “Internal processing error….” (When an attempt is made to mount the database) are displayed.
To resolve this situation, there are following methods that you can use:
- Restore from backup: You should try to restore the database with its online backup. However, you must ensure that the backup is clean and updated before this corruption occurred.
- Run ESEUTIL utility: If you the backup is not clean or not updated, then you should use the ESEUTIL tool. It is able to verify the structure of database tables and perform offline defragmentation on the EDB database.
- Run ISINTEG utility: After performing the ESEUTIL utility, you should use the ISINTEG tool. It rebuilds the EDB information store after the restoration and fixes the errors, it finds, in the information store.
When the backup is not updated or any of the it aforementioned methods fails to restore the desired information, you will need to use a third-party EDB repair software to repair EDB file. Such read-only tools are able to repair EDB files using fast yet sophisticated scanning algorithms.
Stellar Phoenix Exchange Recovery is an EDB file repair software helpful to recover all the corrupted .edb files. The software supports Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, 2003, 2000, and 5.5. This EDB repair tool is able to extract the mailboxes into separate PST files according to the specific user.